Libraries in Parishes across the state are being targeted for censorship by political special interest groups and we need your help to stop them here in St Tammany.
St Tammany Parish is a welcoming community to all and we stand firmly against banning books. As such we endorse the following statements:
- We believe that all young people in our Parish deserve to see themselves reflected in our library’s collection.
- We know a large majority of Americans (75%) across the political spectrum oppose book bans.
- We stand in opposition to the St Tammany Parish Accountability Project's proposed "Library Accountability Board" ordinance because we believe parents should not be making decisions for other parents’ children about what they read or what is available in our public libraries.
- Banning books from public libraries is a slippery slope to government censorship and a violation of our first amendment rights.
- We hold our library Director, board and library staff in high regard and trust them to do their jobs.
We are united against book bans and we ask that our Parish President and Council pledge to act to protect the rights of members of our community to access a variety of books, magazines and other media through our public libraries.